Track Plan Version 2.0

OASIS v2.0.bmp

OASIS Version 2.0

The old house is now on the market, so it is time to get serious about building the new layout in the new home.
After careful consideration, a new track plan is in order.  As much as I liked version 1.0, it would take up too much space in my layout room.  I need space for the computer, desk, printer, workshop tables, as well as space to move around the room!  The new plan is based on a switching track plan which appeared in the September 1998 issue of Model Railroader magazine.  This plan fits nicely into the available space and will provide a lot of switching opportunities.  I redesigned the plan to include a passing siding so run around moves can be made.  I plan on using Micro Engineering code 83 track and turnouts, but I will need to include a 90 degree crossing from Walthers and an Atlas 19 degree crossing (both code 83).  I may consider having the crossings custom built, but budget constraints may put a hold on that.  The theme of the layout will still be based on the original premise found in Version 1.0
I am still mulling a few ideas around regarding benchwork.  I am giving some thought to using a modified L-girder system with sectional layout pieces.  This would allow the layout to be moved if needed.  I may still use David Barrow’s Domino sections, but I am wanting to cut down on the number of legs needed to support the benchwork.  2 sets of legs are needed for each domino, and the above plan would require at least 5 sets of legs.  The L-girder benchwork would require only 1 1/2.
Benchwork construction should begin soon…at least that is the plan!!

Happy modeling!
Tom

Comments