Canning Plant Kitbash

I'm kitbashing an HO scale Walthers Golden Valley Canning kit into a building flat for my Owensville Terminal Railroad OASIS District layout. The kit will represent a canning plant on the layout.

This wall section from the original kit will be flat against the backdrop and butt up to the main building flat which comes out about two and a quarter inches from the backdrop. I first primed the plastic with gray auto primer from Rustoleum.  Next, I used a color called "Georgia Clay" from Deco Art's Americana line of acrylic craft paints as a base coat for the brick areas. It's a strong peachy orange, but this will tone down with additional weathering. 



The next layer of paint applied to the brick areas is a wash mix of Georgia Clay, Delta Ceramcoat Charcoal acrylic craft paint, and water. This is about a 50/50 mix of the two colors, then add water with a brush to thin down the paint mix.

All four panels painted with clay/charcoal wash. 




I added individually colored bricks to the far left brick panel. I used a lighter shade of the Georgia Clay by adding Titanium White paint to it. I also mixed a darker shade by adding the Charcoal color to the Georgia Clay. It's easy to get carried away with this, so add a few brick color variations at random. If it looks too busy, just dry brush some Georgia Clay paint over the darker/lighter shaded bricks to blend it. 


The last step is to apply lightweight spackle to the brick areas to create mortar lines. I apply the spackle with my fingers and rub it into the mortar lines. This step really tones down the brick color. I remove excess Spackle from the corners with a stiff brush. If the mortar lines look too white, you can always tone it down with some gray pastel chalk dust.

I'll finish the rest of the brick panels, then I will add the windows and paint the concrete areas of the wall panel. 


Happy modeling! 

Tom

Comments