A Future Layout?

 

Created with SCARM software. 

N Scale Possibilities 

Back in 1984, I purchased a Bachmann N scale train set while Christmas shopping with a girlfriend. That was my re-entry into the hobby after my old AHM H0 train set loco burned out in 1969. The Bachmann set was the start of a serious interest in the hobby of model railroading.

In 1988, I started construction on a layout based on the Scenic & Relaxed track plan found in the Atlas book, Nine N Scale Model Railroads by John Armstrong and Thaddeus Stepek. I was able to build the cookie-cutter benchwork, assemble the track, and even started on scenery work. It was this layout that got me interested in learning how to operate the layout in a more prototypical fashion. I was hooked, but felt the Scenic & Relaxed was limited, so I tore it down and started on a room-size layout. It wasn't too long before I decided to give up N scale and switch to H0.


Recreated Track Plan with SCARM Software

I still own all of my old N scale track, rolling stock, structures, and locomotives, so I am thinking about rebuilding the ol' Scenic & Relaxed on a hollow-core door. I would use the Woodland Scenics foam riser system instead of using the wood framing and cookie-cutter method prescribed in the original track plan book. This is definitely on my "I'm Interested" list, but I have a few other projects I need to complete before I jump into this one.

More on this in the future! 


Tom

Comments