Owensville Terminal Micro - Adding Ground Cover and Details

I'm moving forward with scenery work with the application of scenic textures. This first layer of texture always makes the layout look like a manicured lawn. Additional textures, such as foliage clumps, rocks, bushes, weeds, and static grasses will give it a more realistic look. 

I'm modeling an autumn scene, so I needed to add a couple of different colors of fine ground foam to represent an autumn grass color. I like to use Woodland Scenics Green Blended Turf for this first layer of grass texture. I added Burnt Grass and Yellow Grass fine ground foam to achieve an autumn grass look. Next, I misted water unto the scenery base, and dusted my grass mix onto the wet surface. I then spray scenic cement over the foam to seal it to the base. This is a quick way to get a finished look to the scenery, but I still have a long way to go in the scenery process. 


Scenery Detail How-to 


Here's a real simple technique to simulate vine growth on a layout. I learned about this technique from an article by Dave Frary. Dave wrote that he used this to hide faults on structures like wall seams and weathering mistakes. I like using Scenic Express' Scrub Grass Burnt for the vine material. I squeeze about a tablespoon of Elmer's Glue-All and dilute it with a water spray bottle. I mist the the glue and foam mix slowly until I get the glue to stir into the foam without dry clumps. If you accidentally get it too wet, just add a little more foam and white glue to thicken the mix (see photo below). 

A sticky consistency is what you want 

I use a #11 X-Acto knife to work and tease the foam mixture into vine shapes. I find the thinner you get the vines, the better it looks. Do this to whatever level that looks good to you. This will take several hours to dry. It's fairly easy to chip away excess material after it has dried a bit, but I recommend doing this before it fully dries. It's a bit harder to remove after it is fully dried. 

Apologies for the blurry photo, but you still get the idea from it 

In the photo below, the vines are about 90% dry. I can still manipulate them or even lift them away if I don't like the look. I like the effect, so I am leaving it the way it is. Additional textures will be added to this scene.

Vines completed 


Comments