Owensville Terminal Micro Layout - Rock Work





After the paint on the baseboard had dried, I applied patching plaster to the areas along the cut and embankments. I will allow the patching plaster to set up for a few hours, and then start carving strata into the plaster. I will let everything set up for about 8-12 hours. At this point the plaster will have hardened at the surface, but not all the way through. I will then start carving rock shapes into the rock face to break up any unnatural looking surfaces. 


The completed rock face 


I use a technique I learned from Woodland Scenics and Dave Frary to color the rock faces. I created a short video on the process I use which is posted below... 



I also like to use a blend of earth colored non-sanded grout to create a dirt texture. I sift this onto the scenery base with a small strainer, and set it in place with a mist of wet water (a 91% isopropyl alcohol {1tsp} and water {1 pint} mix). 



I covered the entire scenery base with the non-sanded grout blend. I'll start applying ground textures on top of the dirt surfaces next. 

Comments