New Layout Project for a Contest

I am down to about 60 days to get my entry ready for the 2023 Micro Model Railroad Cartel Christmas Challenge.  The subject for this year's layout build is a pizza layout.  Time's a wasting, so here we go!

I am going with On30 for this roundy-round layout. I put together a quick and dirty baseboard disc made from laminated foamcore (3/8" thick). I will be laying track by hand for this one.


I am using green florist foam for the landforms.  This is not the squishy kind that is often used in floral projects.  This foam is cellular and quite rigid.  It's easy to cut without all of the staticky particle mess you get with bead board and extruded foam products.  It is made from recycled plastic bottles!

I am also making the roadbed out of foamcore.  The track radius for this project is right around 11 inches. 



I purchased a nifty little rail bending tool from a guy off of eBay.  This was a recommendation by my fellow modeling friends, Ian Holmes and Ken Hutnik.  I'll put a link to the Harry's shop on eBay at the end of this post***.

I stained the wood ties with an AI wash of India Ink and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  The ties are glued down with Weld Bond PVA glue.  I will also be adding a wood trestle to bridge the gap in the roadbed.  The 1 x 2 posts will be used to mount artboard for the backdrop.  I will be using artboard for the fascia boards as well.  


I will allow the glue to dry for a day or two before sanding them and laying rails.  Hopefully I will have a train running in short order!!!

The Autumn issue (Issue 10) of The Micro Model Railway Dispatch is now available for downloading.  This free e-zine is dedicated to the subject of micro model railway layouts.  You can access the current and all back issues at...

 https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com/

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT:  Yours truly has an article about painting backdrops in Issue 10!!


***The rail bender I use is available through the following eBay seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/harrgar52

Comments